Sunday, January 13, 2013


Lunch with CharlotteLunch with Charlotte by Leon Berger

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Born in Vienna just after World War I, Charlotte survived the Nazi invasion, escaping on the Kindertransport to England and then to Canada.
Every Friday for the last 25 years of her life, I had lunch with Charlotte and each week she told me more of her extraordinary story. To all appearances, she was a strong and dignified survivor, with old-world courtesies, a twinkling sense of humor, and a lilting Austrian syntax. Yet deep within, she'd been scarred by a profound personal trauma.
Finally, just before she died at the age of 91, she chose to entrust me with this profound secret, and all at once I understood how it had affected her entire adult life. This is a story of friendship and strength, of courage and betrayal. It is an epic tale set against the backdrop of history.
A PORTION OF THE PROCEEDS FROM EVERY SALE OF THIS BOOK ARE DONATED TO THE HOLOCAUST MUSEUM OF HOUSTON, TEXAS.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I won this novel on www.LibraryThings.com in exchange for a review.

A delightful novel, the touching life story of Charlotte. Emotionally packed to say the least, I went from laughing to crying to amazed at her resolve. A highly recommended read for anyone, a must read for history buffs! A very well done novel by Leon Berger. I look forward to his next!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment