Thursday, December 27, 2012

UsUs by Matthew McKay



Psychologist Dr. Matthew McKay tells the story of Margaret, a young woman tortured by her struggle with dissociative identity disorder, a severe and controversial psychological disorder characterized by the presence of two or more distinct identity states or personalities. Treatment is aimed toward ultimately integrating the multiple personalities. Margaret chooses to live her life without undergoing this recommended integration, and wants her boyfriend, Walker, to accept her as she is—alternating between a frightened child, an angry male adolescent, a bawdy southern belle, and a suicidal woman who seems to belong nowhere. McKay uses Us to explore what happens in relationships when one is damaged, but seeks acceptance as opposed to being �fixed.” As Margaret teeters at the edge of self-destruction, Us examines the far limits of what can be given in the name of love.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Told third person, so to speak. I wasn't sure when I first started reading Us if I was going to continue reading it. Yet I found myself compelled to go further. I found both Walker and Margaret to be unique. Such a bittersweet story, I am so glad I did read on.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment